Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tech.... It's more than just hardware!

My good friend and colleague Jeff Utecht goes on and on about an Apple Computer company presentation that we attended yesterday. He gives a nice summary on the Thinking Stick that I found very well grounded in COMMON Sense.

Where is this all going?
What are we doing?
What will we do when we get "it",or get "there"?
What is "it" and where is "there"?

Console Corner
To me it is all about targeting what we are going to do with our programs and our classrooms and less about the technology themselves. My question is why does it seem like the only people asking these questions are the people involved in technology education?

Maybe I am just missing those people asking all these hard questions!

powered by performancing firefox

4 comments:

Dr. Glenn E. Malone said...

A good friend of mine is the principal at the Shanghai Community International School. Her name is Stacey Gailey and here's her blog:
http://travelwithstacey.blogspot.com/

I'll be following your blog now too.

Anonymous said...

My question is why does it seem like the only people asking these questions are the people involved in technology education?

I think it is a matter of mindset. Your tech ed teachers are constantly thinking a certain way with these questions in mind. I think that more and more of your teachers will begin to ask these particular questions when it becomes a solid part of the school's mission statement or some other driving force.

Sunny said...

It's good to know that I am not alone in my frustration with those not wanting to move forward. Everything I read and study talks about the vital role technology plays in the way we need to prepare students for the 21st century. In our system and school, we are asking the questions, but not many are willing to answer.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1568480,00.html
This is a link to an article in Time from a month or so ago. We are starting to have discussions with teachers, parents, community members, AND students about the ideas it presents. Hopefully, the discussions will create a sense of urgency for change.

Scott McLeod said...

Andrew, welcome to your SECOND blog! So cool! I'll be adding this to my RSS aggregator. Hope your first blog is still working well for you. Let me know if you need anything!

SCOTT McLEOD
www.dangerouslyirrelevant.org